Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So Now I'm Lower Middle-Class 'eh?

Money...I've always told myself it wasn't really that important in my life.  And for the most part, I think that's true.  I don't really consider myself greedy and I haven't spent a great deal of effort trying to get more.  I mean, I sell stuff on ebay occasionally, but I think that's as much to get rid of junk as it is to make money.  As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that most of the money I've made by selling stuff was spent on some new stuff before it had a chance to sit in my bank and earn any interest.  We're talking in the low hundreds of dollars here. 

Early in my adult life I made a decision to move into a job that could support my family.  I had recently come from a Christian university where I studied to be a music minister.  There's two things that are desitined to keep you in poverty when you put them together.  Music and ministry.  Talk about being young and idealistic. So, since my wife had majored in Art and I had majored in Music I thought it was probably a good idea to get a "real job". Plus, I had an experience that turned me off to chruch politics forever.  I decided that music was something that I dearly loved and because of that, I didn't want to do it for a living. That was a money decision as large as any I had ever made in my life at that point.  Other than that, I really haven't been that concerned with filthy lucre.  Sure, I love to have it and love to spend it even more.  But its just not who I am.  I'm just as happy giving it away a lot of times.  

Anyway, I said all of that to say this....I happened upon this article on Yahoo Finance that says that now I'm lower middle-class.  According to how much I make, blah blah blah, yada yada yada....
I grew up lower middle class to just plain poor.  I mean mom had two of us boys to raise and she was terrible with money.  So I guess I should be happy that I've moved up in the world right?   I don't know.  Its just that if you'd have told me when I was a kid that I would be making what I'm making now I don't know if I'd have believed it. Well, then again I probably would have.  I have always been optimistic.  :)
I think that I would have assumed though that making as much as I do would mean I was well off, or at least above the middle income.   Oh well!   At least I can truly say that we are blessed.  My wife is able to stay at home with our two girls and we really don't lack for anything.  Really, if you compared my salary with the other 6 billion people in the world, I'd come out in the top 1%.   That's not bad.

Its good for me to remember that.   Ahhh, that's better. 

One thing that has been really good for me and my family has been going through the Dave Ramsey program called "Finacial Peace University".  If money is something that bothers you in the slightest, I highly recommend it.
Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University Audio CD Library: 13 Life Changing Lessons

No comments:

Post a Comment